Course: Main Course
Keyword: Chicken Provencal
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs or 6 oz breasts
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp crushed rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1- 796 ml can of tomatoes whole or cut
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp capers drained
- Crusty bread for “sopping” optional
In a heavy Dutch oven; heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Brown chicken pieces well, seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove to a plate and set aside.
Add remaining oil, onions and fennel to the pot. Sauté 6-7 minutes until golden. Add garlic, thyme and rosemary; sauté a minute. Add wine and stir a couple minutes to get the brown bits off the bottom.
Return the chicken to the pot. Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Heat to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 30 minutes. Add olives and capers; cook 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
Check seasonings and adjust as necessary. To serve, ladle into large bowls or soup plates. Serve with crusty bread (optional).