Pico de Gallo
Makes 2 cups - Prep time: 20 minutes
Calories: 15 kcal
- 1 lb tomatoes ripe but firm (Roma variety preferred)
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 1/4 cup green onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup cilantro chopped (amount depends on preference)
- 1-2 hot peppers to taste, finely minced (optional)
- Juice of 1 or 2 limes depending on juiciness and the amount you like
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
Slice tomatoes in half. I prefer Roma or Italian variety because they’re more meaty than juicy. Remove the seeds since they have a tendency to be somewhat bitter. Finely dice the tomatoes into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Dice the onion and cut the green onion and add to the tomatoes. Finely mince the cilantro and garlic and add that to the bowl. If using hot chiles seed and mince those and add in.
Juice one lime and add to the salsa. Taste before adding the rest of the lime juice. Adjust and season to taste with sea salt and black pepper; stir well.
Serve as you would with any other salsa, but you’ll be amazed at how great fresh salsa tastes, and you can customize it any way you like. It also keeps well in the fridge for a few days too.
If hot peppers bother you, you can add some sweet pepper for extra colour and flavour. Yellow or orange peppers will give the best punch of colour. Recipe Courtesy of Chef Kevin Wagner RNCP
Pico de Gallo
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 445IU9%
Vitamin C 14mg17%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.