Makes 6 1/2 cups - Prep time: 1 hour
Calories: 109 kcal
- 2-3 tbsp avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 small onion finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano finely chopped (or use 1-2 tsp dry oregano)
- 3 1/2 cups* organic vegetable stock or light chicken stock
- 1 cup of diced fresh or canned diced tomatoes
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
* Check the rice for the correct ratio of liquid to rice. Most brown rice requires 2 1/4 cups of liquid per cup of dry rice, but if using brown Basmati or others they are different.
In a medium-sized heavy pot (that has a tight fitting lid); heat the oil to medium. Add the rice and toast for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
Add the onion and cook until translucent and tender. Add the garlic and oregano. Cook for a couple minutes to release the flavours. Add the stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Turn down to a low simmer and cover with a tight fitting lid.
COOK WITHOUT PEEKING* for 40 minutes, or about 5 minutes before the package says it takes to cook. Carefully check to see how the rice is cooking. It may be ready or take another few minutes, depending on your rice. When ready, take the pan off the heat and let rest, covered, for five minutes, then fluff with a fork and serve.
Many people stir their rice and then wonder why it is gummy. Stirring rice breaks the starch up and make it sticky, so unless that is what you’re after, DON’T STIR. Recipe Courtesy of Chef Kevin Wagner RNCP
Amount Per Serving
Calories 109 Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 165IU3%
Vitamin C 2.5mg3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.